Thursday, July 10, 2014

Need To Print A Show

I have a hunger to do a long difficult printing session for a major show. My new updated darkroom is raring to go, I am raring to get under the red light. The problem is I have no shows! : ))

It would be so exciting to print a major show of the "Families of the Dump' photos or some kind of sex worker or retrospective show. Two years ago I started printing 37 photos for the "Train is Coming" exhibition at Kaasa. I wish I had something like that to work towards, last year I did up 20 odd prints for the "Body Sellers" exhibition in New Orleans. I need a show like today, now, to print for.

Maybe I can just do up 20 or so of the dump pics in 16x20 for a possible show at some future, maybe date. It's not the same thou if your just printing for the sake of printing, having a gallery somewhere that wants the work makes all the difference. When you know it's going to be shown somewhere at a future date you have a worthy goal to work towards, the prints you create are more beautiful because they are destined for a gallery wall.

I guess I have to just continue to submit work. The photos I am doing of dad the last several months might also be a future project to submit to galleries but for now I am just doing it for my father and myself.  I am making the photos as a tribute to what dad is going through, I want him, I need him to be remembered. There is also the possibility a few of the dad pics might get into a self published mag with my photo group photogs.

The most important thing to do something I have always felt is to continue to create new work. If I keep photographing, if I continue to make new and important pics then everything else falls into place. If the new photos are good enough, if the stories are strong enough everything will eventually be shown. My number one concern should be the creation of new work, nothing else matters.