Friday, July 4, 2014

Photo Story: Smiling Girls Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok Thailand 2010

This photo was made on the railway track area of Klong Toey slum, it was the lead photo in my photo exhibition "The Train is Coming: Portraits from Klong Toey Slum". The young girl in the foreground followed me around with her friend laughing as I made pics. Earlier I had taught some English to her and a group of friends. I remember the young girl (white dress) in the photo was very happy to learn the english word "nose", she kept saying it over and over again until it was almost a yell, nose!, nose!!, nose!!! The Thai children of Klong Toey slum have so many questions, they often come up to you smiling and joyful, curious who you are and where your from. I would like to do a whole series of 5x7 vertical portraits of the children of the slum, showing them standing at play, in their school uniforms etc.

Leica M6 with 28mm lens on Tri-x (200ASA), daylight.

Smiling girls Klong Toey slum, Bangkok Thailand 2010