Friday, September 12, 2014

"Lost Innocence" Two Visual Options

Tonight I have been thinking of two different ways of shooting the Lost Innocence" series of images. Both series would be ring flash variations on tight close head shots or head and shoulder shots. Am not sure which options works best will have to experiment.

1) Hasselblad ring flash Tri-x, square format images. I would print them onto large tintypes in the wet plate process. I would have to convert the negatives to positives first then use an enlarger to expose the plates. These images would have a unique strong old fashioned type feel to them. I would use larger size tintypes probably 8x10, 11x14 or maybe even 16x20.

2) Canon Mark II colour shots with ring flash, vertical images. I would print these images large, probably 20x24 or maybe even larger (30"+ vertical?) depending on what the image quality can handle. I would go heavy on colour saturation, vibrancy etc in photo shop and print on a glossy sheen type printer paper. Maybe high contrast as well, would have to play with the look.

Hmm do not have the money for it but large white wooden frames and maybe a bright white over mat would also give a nice finishing look to these high gloss colour saturated photos.

Note* Also thinking of taking some black cloth with me when I shoot.  I could tape the cloth to a wall behind the subject to get a uniform neutral background colour for the ring flash light.

Update* Scratch the name and age of the subject into the collodion of the tintype? Or write the name and age of the subject on the colour print with some kind of black or silver permanent felt pen. Do it digitally?