Sunday, September 7, 2014

Mr. Harmonica!

Today when I was at dads he asked me to look for an old light bulb and while searching I came upon a large harmonica. I asked dad if it was his fathers (my grandfathers) and he said it was his. Dad took it from my hand and started playing it! Who new? I did not know he played that instrument. Dad has been a drummer all of his life, he played in a Ukrainian wedding band since he was a young boy. I knew dad always had a love of music and played the drums but he also plays the harmonica. At one time dad even took violin lessons as an older man and played a bit of guitar as well.

So there I was tonight at the house, dad stricken with terminal cancer laying frail and fragile on the sofa and yet he was making music. He played a few songs for me, telling me their titles. As I left dad continuined to play. Music gave the house a joyful feel. Maybe my father will now have something more to do in the coming days besides watching TV and thinking about dying. Its strange and kind of beautiful, even thou dad is now 82 and I have known him all of my life he still has the ability to surprise me.

Dad as a child with his father on violin and another band member.

Dad closeup, he was the drummer in the band,  photo made around 1942-44 making dad about 10 to 12 years old.