Sunday, September 14, 2014

Photo Story: Inside Klong Toey Slum Home

This photo was included in my "The Train Is Coming" solo show at the Kaasa Gallery in 2012.

"The Train Is Coming" Opening Night Video At The Kaasa Gallery

This picture was made in Bangkok's Klong Toey slum, in the home of one of the slums richer residents. I photographed the inside of the owners home and the owner as well as he watched TV. The home was owned by an older man and his wife who was sleeping as I visited. The thing I remember most is that I had a conversation with the man about the corrupt Thai police in the area. The owner (forget his name now, it is on the blog somewhere) told me that the police had arrested his son for drug use and that if he had enough money to pay them a bribe the young man would have gotten off but he did not have the money so his son went to jail. I guess the way it works is the taller the arrested person is the more the bribe cost (taller means they are older). I  also photographed the owner in front of his home (picture int he Kaasa show as well), he made a living by collecting bottles on his motorbike. He was a very nice and friendly fellow to me. The kings picture is very common in Thai homes, you can see him in the calendar on the wall next to the fridge. Thais love their king with good reason he does lots to help the ordinary people of Thailand. This view is rather typical of what you will find in most Thai homes, a TV, rice cooker, photo of the king and beat up old fridge. The house was kept in pretty decent order, very clean, I made sure I took off my shoes on entering. I was welcomed in with open arms and a smile by a man who did not even know me, try doing that in the West!

I want to do more household interiors in the future, they are visually compelling and important documentary images. On a tech note the pic was made with a Fuji 6x9 camera and Tri-x 120 with a bit of direct flash.

Update: Here is the original story from 2010, this blog was written just after I made this picture. I did not include the mans whole name in this blog entry to protect him in case the police or someone else read the story and was angry about what he had told me regarding bribery. The link gives much more information than I remembered, thank goodness for the blog, everything you write is stored for future reference. A good learning tool and fun to do besides.

Original Blog Entry

Klong Toey slum home interior, 2010