Friday, October 10, 2014

More Scans From November 2013 "Families of the Dump"

Continued to search through my scanned photos looking for more forgotten not posted dump images. The first three photos were made early on morning when I first arrived at the dump around 645am. It was still to dark to shoot film effectively so I made the pictures with the help of a small portable flash that was given to me by a friend in Canada. In the pics the family had gathered up a pail of old cooked rice that they had found in the dump. I believe what they do with this rice is recook it and then eat it themselves. Over my time in the dump I have seen the families pull old rice from out of the garbage and pour it into buckets like in the first photo numerous times. Old pop bottles, old nuts all kinds of discarded food is scavenged and reused. The young girl in the photo is smiling even under the circumstances she lives in, I find this incredible, the human spirit is really a beautiful thing.