Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Photo Idea: "Bangkok At Night", Revisited

Years ago I had an idea to do a series of photographs of Bangkok at night. That idea came back to me tonight, fresh and exciting. In the past I thought of shooting it with the Banarama 4x5 hand held camera and flash but now I am thinking it might work better in 35mm an the Ricoh GR-21. This is the way I see it.

Tri-x the GR-21 and Rodinal developer. I would go for a high contrast and higher grain look then print the work on the high contrast Durst 1200 condensor enlarger. These images would be very harsh and stark looking, like nothing I have ever created before. I would wander the streets shooting everything, everything of interest, allowing myself the freedom to chase and create in new and different ways. No rules, no limitations, just shoot and shoot and find my story. I would photograph at night and in Bangkok but put no other restrictions on myself. I might use the on camera flash or a separate hand held flash (the GR-21 has external flash sinc capability) or I might try pushing the film all the way up to 6400 ASA. I would do everything I want, blurred images, strange angles, grain, contrast, tough strange subject matter etc. Everything and anything would fly. NO RULES.

This would be a fun type of photography a freeing type of expression, just me and the streets, one simple tool and creating from what I find. The Toot Yung Gallery in Bangkok has promised to show my work, this might be the work that I show. This could lead to strong and powerful work, worthy of the gallery time and space. Heck this stuff could even sell which I feel I owe the gallery, they are letting me in, the work needs to have the possibility of selling to help me pay them back.

If I stay 6 months in Bangkok I could work on this project nightly or every second night. With Rodinal a little goes a long long way so I could develop the film as I go over the 6 month time period, using a 1/50 or 1/100 dilution. Seeing the work, posting it on the blog and feeling my way along as I go would be very helpful. Having the immediate feedback would be a great and positive way to create, I would know where I stood day to day and week to week.

Shooting the cheap point and shoot GR-21 at night would be safer to do than any of my Leicas or other big expensive looking machines. I would no doubt be entering some pretty dangerous worlds as I wandered at night so its best to travel light and simple. I might even carry a separate pretend wallet with a bit of cash in it, I could hand it over freely and hopefully without conflict if I was mugged. Just don't take my camera!