Monday, November 10, 2014

Magazine Produces Mixed Feelings

I got back the magazine I ordered from Blurb.ca today, I feel mixed on its quality.. Some of the shots are to dark others are dark but a nice looking high contrast dark. The inner pages have acceptable blacks but the cover and back pages have a bluish tinge to the inks (just like in the Blurb books). Not sure why  b/w photos look different on the cover and inside. The thing I like least about the mag is the wrinkly cheap quality of the glossy and very thin economy pages. On a scale of 10 I think I would give the magazine a 6 or 6 1/2.

I have decided its worth a second try and will send in my first contact sheet design mag today.This time I will try out their higher premium page paper. These premium paper mags run $6.99 USD versus $4.99 for the economy page version.

Overall I am a a bit disappointed with it all, I guess you always hope for more. After attempt 2 I will decide whether to chuck the whole thing or print up more copies for the exhibition. I doubt anyone would want to buy these things but it might still be a nice accessory, something for people to leaf through at the show. I could show the visitors a larger varied sample of the photos I have made. I think Larry is going to print up some nice but expensive catalogs of his work. I cannot afford to do a big printing from a real offset printing company so have to make due with what I can get on the cheap.

Lets give this a second try and see how it works out.

Update* Just ordered the mag, cost including rather expensive shipping is $15.73 USD. The cost on these things is cheap enough to give it a second go, thou I anticipate I will probably be a bit disappointed again.