Sunday, November 23, 2014

New Countries?

I enjoy visiting Thailand, I want to tell so many stories there, I want to return and photograph in the dump but I wonder if I am doing the right thing?? Would I not be better served by spreading my wings and going to an entirely new country or to one I have not spent that much time in.

Tonight at work I am reading the Autobiography of Sebatstia Salgado "From my Land to the Planet". In the section I just finished he writes of his love for Africa, how it became his new Brazil. Maybe I should go to Africa, Rwanda might be a country I need first. Go to Rwanda to visit and tell stories, or Angola, Sudan, Niger, Mali somewhere in that large beautiful but troubled continent. What about returning to Asia but instead of Thai spending time in Laos or Burma or Cambodia? Central America? I always wanted to go to Nicaragua. What about South America, Ecuador? Peru? I think with some renewed effort I could learn Spanish. I found that language easier to learn, much easier than Khmer or Burmese.

What to do? I probably I have to much time to think of these things, dream of visiting here and there and making this photo story and that series.  There is so much I want to do, so many places I want to make photos. Trapped here in the snow of Canada working security nightshifts it all seems so far away, so distant, so unreachable.