Thursday, November 13, 2014

Newest Collective Member And Club Thoughts

We added another strong documentary photographer to the Edmonton photographers collective I belong to, his name is Pieter  De Vos. This is a great group to belong to because everyone is so photo creation oriented, the main reason we meet is to help each other become better photographers. Many photo clubs and groups are made up of non devoted newbies or old bucks set in their ways, they seem to produce no photography of any importance or uniqueness. Producing original work is very hard, so it's easier to follow everyone else and do what they do. The most important thing thou as a group or as an individual is that you need to at least try, you need to make your best effort at creating. My Achilles heal when it comes to groups is that when I am around people that do not even try, I lose patience and interest. You got to at least make an effort, try to make photographs, try to have your own unique voice. Photo clubs should be more than social drinking and get together groups, they should actually make photographs!

I should not be to harsh on the old buck photo crowd, old buck is a group I am now entering. When you get older your limited physically in what you can do. The problem is when the limits are not only placed on your body but also on your mind and imagination. I hope as I become an older and older buck I am still open to creating in new and exciting ways, trying to think outside the box and not following the pack, not following the rules. Most older people tend to become more and regimented by rules and regulations as they age, sometimes it's important to throw all rules out the window and just have some fun creating. Pretend your a child again, look at the world with fresh new eyes. Remember, no rules, HAVE FUN!

After I type this I am going to go into the darkroom and print using an enlarger I got free from group member Jack for an important exhibition with Larry at his gallery also from the collective.

Check out our newest member Pieter's website here:

http://www.pieterdevos.ca