Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Pakistans DNA Magazine Picks Up Sex Worker Photo And Interview From Slate

Found this today in DNA magazine, a Pakistani a news resource. Kind of cool to see my work and interview in a real hard copy magazine. My bit is on page 15 of the mag, this edition is quite old, it dates back to January 2014. I only discovered it today when I did a random search for the fictitious Mr. Yaum.

DNA picked up the slate.com article, interview and photos. Gosh I wish I had $10 bucks for every time this slate.com thing was used online. I might have enough money to buy a plane ticket back to Asia to make more pics. Still the more and more this sort of thing happens the more likely positives will flow into the photography career. As always the most important thing is I hope this magazine pick up helped the reader understand the life of the worker, helped to communicate their story and helped to break down negative stereotypes about prostitution.

I have had plenty of online resources like Slate show the work but this is the first real life paper magazine to publish my photography and thoughts. This is the first time a magazine like this has helped me communicate the messages I hope to tell with my work. I am happy the story was shown in a serious news based publication, to have the editors believe the work was worthy makes me feel I am on the right track. You got to love the name of the magazine DNA DEBATE & NEWS ANALYSIS, it's definitely not some kind of fluff entertainment rag.

Update* Since I did not get paid for the use of the story my friend Larry suggested I at least try to get them to send me a free hardcopy of this issue (if they still have it). Probably worth a try.

http://issuu.com/abidoon/docs/dna_issue_7__sunday__19_-_25_jan__2_b20a7c1b60da40/14