Saturday, March 14, 2015

Doing Email Submissions Tonight

Tonight on my security night shift I am doing a bunch of email submissions. I love the fact that more and more galleries and museums are advocating submission by email. When I did a search last night I found that many exhibition galleries ONLY want email submissions, that is a big change from a few years back. It makes sense for both the artist and the gallery,it is environmentally more friendly, it is fast and easy to do, it is way cheaper (basically free) and it allows the gallery to quickly assess whether the work is of merit and fits into their galleries mandate. You got to love the Internet! It opens up worlds of possibilities for the artist.

I sent them my current updated CV, a brief intro letter and 14 low res photographs from the "My Fathers Last Days" project. I showed a few of those photographs at the "Life on the Margins" exhibition (Exposure Photo Festival) and I will be showing more in Rosebud in September but I want dads work to find a larger exhibition audience. I need to show the prints at venues Canada wide, to tell dads story on a larger scale. My father is gone now but the photos live on, I need to get them seen.

Here are the places I have sent submissions to tonight. All allow or prefer email submissions and are Canada based organizations. Some of these are long shots and with others the work will no doubt not fit the gallery mandate, but it does not hurt to try. Too many people give up in life without giving it their best effort. Give them a try yourself! The more submissions, the more people showing work and creating, the better!

Update* Since it was fast, easy and free, I also sent the "Families of the Dump" to many of these galleries.

- Kimoto Gallery ("My Fathers Last Days")
- The Power Plant ("Families of the Dump" and "My Fathers Last Days")
- Modern Fuel ("Families of the Dump" and "My Fathers Last Days")
- Toronto Pearson Airport Terminal 1 ("Families of the Dump")
  (Doubtful I will have a chance here as the subject is probably to charged for their mandate.)
- Langham Cultural Centre ("Families of the Dump" and "My Fathers Last Days")
- MacLaren Art Centre ("Families of the Dump" and "My Fathers Last Days")
- MacKenzie Art Gallery ("My Fathers Last Days")
- Gallery 44 ("My Fathers Last Days")
- VAG Vancouver Art Gallery ("My Fathers Last Days")
- Gallery 295 ("Families of the Dump" and "My Fathers Last Days")
- AGNS Art Gallery Of Nova Scotia ("Families of the Dump" and "My Fathers Last Days")
- Harbourfront Centre Art Gallery  ("Families of the Dump" and "My Fathers Last Days")