Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Photo Story: Nepalese Street Kids Hugging While Sleeping

I have always loved this photo. It is the story of young love. these two young people have each other even thou they have nothing else. There is a sort of beauty in their love that's hard to ignore. I did not spend much time with them (should have spent more) but what I remember most about their relationship was how the boy later introduced me to his girlfriend with such pride. He said "This is my girlfriend!"  with a bit warm smile on his face. They are sleeping on the ground next to an open series of roads in Kathmandu Nepal. It was early around 6am, I arrived and made this photograph before they woke up.

I would like to go back and make more pictures of this group or another similar group in the future. They were difficult to work with, hard to build trust, drug use etc. Maybe I can go back and work with them again in the future. I did buy them rice and gave them other things. Giving money directly was a problem as it would go into the purchase of glue to sniff etc.

The picture was made with my standard 35mm gear. Leica M6 rangefinder, 28mm lens (I think),
Tri-x film exposed at 200 ASA. Developed in D-76 2-1 at 20C for 12 minutes 30 seconds, agitation the first 30 seconds and every 30 seconds for 5 seconds there after.

Young love on the streets of Kathmandu, Nepal November 2013