Sunday, May 10, 2015

My New Plaubel Makina 67

I bought a Plaubel Makina 67. The camera I bought is older than the Plaubel Makina 670 that was in Edmonton but it does not have the 1mm NICK defect on the front element. The camera was also cheaper, I paid $1300 USD plus $40 USD for shipping. There is quite a price difference between the 2 cameras, the first was $1850 CAD plus (I would have paid more as I was in a bidding war with one other person) versus $1666.83 CAD for the second camera. I still might have to pay some duty and GST once the cheaper camera arrives in Canada from Korea but we are still looking at about a $200-$300 CAD savings (and no lens NICK!).

I will use this camera with the Leica's and the Linhof 5x7 next trip to Thai. I plan on making head and shoulder portraits for the vow "Forgotten Laughter" book I promised my father. Looking forward to the Plaubel's small size which will allow me to carry the camera in my 35mm camera bag. I am also hoping the great bokeh it is reputed to have is not a myth. I did searches online and saw some good looking blur examples when this camera is set at wider f-stops.

What was the clincher for me on this deal was I asked the seller to lower the price from $1380 USD to $1300 USD and they did. Hope this is not a mistake. I will know the first time I see a portrait made at f2.8, if I get one very good picture out of it, in my mind it's worth the cost.

So now I have 3 cameras flying in, a damaged Nikonas III (for the lens) from Quebec Canada, a Nikonas V body from Japan and a Plaubel Makina 67 from South Korea.