Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Burmese Learning Continues

I am continuing my attempts at learning Burmese. Learning Thai or even my feeble attempts at Khmer seem so much easier. With my Burmese I feel that finally I am making a bit of headway. Before where it all sounded so similar, like one long syllable. Now I am picking up differences. I am starting to hear the words in the sentences, I am starting to hear the separations.

I am using a number of tools to work on the language. The main 2 being a set of CDs I run in my car to and from work and Burmese language Aps that teach you the basics. I take my mini ipad with me on my nightly patrols and replay words and sentences until I understand and start to be able to recite them more fluently.

Tonight's main series of words is "Do you understand." " NAU-LAY-LAU" I can try saying it to my Burmese speaking partner when they look at me confused after not understanding what I said previously.

So now they can not understand what I say to them in Burmese then as a followup they can not understand when I ask them "Do you understand?". It will be a double whammy of confusion for them.

Also learning:

Beautiful - JOH-DAY
Pretty - FLAU-DAY
Fat - WAH-DAY

Joking aside, learning a persons language is a great way to make friends with that person. Understanding the Burmese language will help me in the creation of my photographs. Anything that makes for better photographs, I am all in!