Saturday, August 8, 2015

Shot The 5x7

Shot the 5x7 today with the 120mm. Did a foliage photo at 1/15 F8 and 3 different portrait set ups at 1/8, 1/4 F8. Doubt the portrait stuff will work as I shot in later daylight with a reflector at the slow shutters of 1/8 and 1/4 with the person standing. My past experience with standing people and the 150mm on the 4x5 required a shutter of 1/15 or faster. I will develop these practise shots and see where I am at. I might have to start shooting the Tri-x in the Linhof 5x7 at 400ASA not 200, so I can get that extra stop of shutter speed.

I enjoyed composing the photos with the 120mm. With the long 7 inch in the 5x7 inch vertical format combined with the wide 120mm lens I can include the full body with space around it quite easily from a close in more interactive/intimate (between subject and photographer) camera position. There is also a bit of distortion created in the portrait because it is made close up with a wide angle style lens, I kind of like that dynamic.

The new Polish made plastic focusing screen also worked very well, It was bright enough at F8 in the subdued light to focus accurately. I found that I need the dark cloth (bag) to focus and compose the image properly so will be using that in Thailand this coming trip. The new Gitzo carbon fibre tripod was a joy to use as was the smaller lighter version Manfrotto head. I found carrying the gear in my knapsack style bag was much lighter feeling then a should back. I will probably use this camera knapsack on the trip. Lugging around the large 5x7 on the tripod, tripod head is still very heavy and difficult.

Tomorrow when Stu comes for his workshop we are going to develop some 5x7 film he shot and then print the negs (he uses my 8x10 Durst enlarger to print). I will throw in today's practise negs  along with Stu's stuff. I am back at work on Monday again so not sure how much more I can shoot the 5x7 this week. Practise with this camera/lens combo will continue. It is around 2 months 3 weeks until I am using this gear in the dump to photograph the children for "Forgotten Laughter".