Saturday, August 1, 2015

Upiem Mai Refugee Camp?

There is another refugee camp about 87 km South of Mae Sot called Upiem Mai (Mae La is 55 km North). Upien Mai had a huge fire that caused many deaths back in 2012. Sent out a bunch of emails to NGO type folks and to 3 different photographers who have made pictures at Mae La and Upien Mai. Hopefully something will come of these emails. I am learning more about the camps and people who live there so that has to be a good thing, knowledge is always power. I believe each camp holds over 12000 people, mostly of the Karen ethnic group (like at the dump).

If I cannot photograph at Mae La maybe I can at Upiem Mai. If it does not happen this trip maybe the contacts will be made and things will be learned that will allow for photos to be made on a subsequent trip. I have to figure out some way to get this done. Brick by brick builds the grand cathedral.

Upiem Mai refugee camp